Thursday, June 25, 2009

Technology as a Sixth Sense


Imagine picking up your favorite cereal brand at your local grocer and projecting information about that cereal onto the box - information like what kind of impact the cereal has on the environment, where it was made, etc.

Pattie Maes and Pranav Mistry of MIT are making this possible through the use of what they call the Sixth Sense, technology that connects the world to the Internet and delivers information to you about the things you’re interested in.

The Sixth Sense (via a camera and mini-projector slung around your neck) recognizes objects around you, then projects information about that object onto any surface - your hand, that cereal box I mentioned earlier, your best friend’s white t-shirt. Finger sensors allow you to control and access this information in a way that is most desirable to you.

They did a great presentation on it at TED.

Not sure what time it is? Trace a circle on your wrist for an instant watch. Want to take a photo? Frame the image with your hands and the Sixth Sense will snap a pic. On your way to the airport? Take a look at your boarding pass for real time flight info.

Just when you think we’re out of ideas, the exponential future pokes its head out…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog.Now kindly thanks the publisher by clicking any (ads) available in the blog.You can use My Google Search Engine as your default search engine.Add Comments to my blog posts and share it via different social networks. Mention the flaws left in posts and let me able to better my blog. Moreover,You can suggest me some related links to my blog posts.Bookmark it,soon you will need it again.I will be personally thankful to you.